Monday, January 31, 2011

Potato and Mushroom Tart



And so the baking spree continues, this time with something savory rather than sweet. I tried out frozen puff pastry sheets for the first time (from Trader Joe's), and it worked out pretty well. I made a filling out of onions, thyme, kosher salt, pepper, sliced red potatoes, gruyere cheese, and crimini mushrooms (the mushrooms rather dismayed Jared, unfortunately). I used one whole puff pastry sheet to make a single big tart, and then cut the second pastry sheet into four squares to make these smaller individual tarts. The end result was pretty delicious; I'll definitely make these again, or perhaps try the filling (or something a little different) in a big pie or individual little pies. I'd also like to try using the puff pastry sheets to make small triangle sweet tarts filled with jam or preserves--next time I make it up to Bigfork, Montana to visit my family, I'll be bringing home some delicious berry preserves from a great store there to use for just this purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment