After enjoying a long day of opening presents and playing with new toys on Christmas, we packed up that night and left the next morning to head north on a vaguely planned road trip. We knew that we wanted to visit Geoff in the Sierras, so we headed there first. We had a nice time visiting and enjoying his property in the mountains--the boys were entertained for hours playing with little foam "boats" that they made and floated in Geoff's wheelbarrow full of (freezing) water. Jared has been wanting to "interview" Geoff about the history of Prindle Catamarans for a project that he has in mind, so it was a good opportunity to bring some camera gear along and sit down for a chat. We also got to head just a little bit higher into the mountains to find some bona fide snow for the boys to play in, which was super fun.
Next, we headed west to the Bay area, and found ourselves in Mill Valley, one of our favorite places to stay outside of San Francisco. We loved the hotel that we stayed at, with a view of the water, nice soft beds, and all the wine, fruit, cheese, and crackers we could eat every evening at 5pm. We made the quick drive over the Golden Gate bridge into the city and headed for Chinatown (via Lombard Street), where Parker did some souvenir shopping and we tried a vegetarian restaurant for lunch.
The next day, we headed up to Healdsburg to visit with my best friends and their kids--it was a quick visit, but so nice. I'm glad Jared got to see how much fun Parker has with all of the kids--they are always instant friends whenever they get together. Sadly, I didn't think to take any pictures while we were there!! I hope we get to see everyone again soon.
We headed back down the coast towards home, making a pit stop in Monterey. The weather there was gorgeous--sunny and cool--and the ocean was smooth and peaceful. We struggled with whether or not to bring bikes on this trip, ultimately deciding not to, but definitely missed out on some great rides in Mill Valley, San Francisco, and Monterey. Next time we find ourselves in SF or Monterey we will definitely have to do the coastal bike trails. Hopefully Levi won't be too giant for the baby bike seat by then!
After six days wandering the road, we were all ready to get home again. The boys were happy to see their Christmas presents again and I was happy to wash our clothes and, surprisingly, not eat at a restaurant for a while!
Happy New Year, everyone!
Mickeycakes in Monterey
Getting Grandpa Geoff on film--I'm sorry that I didn't get any pictures of him and the kids on this trip!
Floating foam boats
Yes, we are flatlanders. I have come to accept that. We pulled over on the side of the road and had tons of fun. Now I understand all of those people I used to make fun of while growing up in the mountains.
Chinatown
Walking on the Municipal Pier, SF
Watching the waves break under the Golden Gate Bridge--there were lots of people in the water surfing--brrrr!
Right outside our room in Mill Valley--the lights on the hillside, reflected in the water, made for a really pretty view while laying in bed at night.



No comments:
Post a Comment